[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: That was fun!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

That was fun!

Greg and I got home from to Incline Village last night, after a full day of travel. Southwest Airlines is sneaky with their "non-stop" flights, which would more accurately be called "several stops but you can't get off the plane so bring 2 days' worth of water and snacks and entertainment!" Thankfully we had plenty of snacks and entertainment so the 9 hours flew by. Literally.

Also, for those of you who are wondering about my new bike case, I successfully avoided the bike fee on the way home. After a bad lying attempt on the outbound flight ("um, it's equipment?") that didn't work well at all, for the return flight I brushed up my lying skills and kept my $50 thank you very much.

I will be needing that $50 because my mom and I broke my iPod shuffle this weekend... It had a very short 4 month life! First I put it through the washing machine by accident, then my mom put it in the toaster oven to "dry off" and it exploded! Now the debate is whether I should replace it with another shuffle or with a proper real-deal iPod that can hold my 40+ gigs of music and playlists. I am leaning towards the latter, I don't work out much with music anyway and that's the true purpose of the shuffle.

Speaking of my mom Sal and silly things, on Sunday, my aunt Glenn came over for dinner with me and my mom and Greg. It was tons of fun, in part because she brought over a photo album from the mid-1950's that had lots of photos of my mom, my grandparents, and my mom's six siblings in various stages of coolness and ragamuffin-ness. I look a lot like my mom but so does my sister. Also we had some wine with dinner. As Glenn was leaving with the album:

Glenn: Well, I'm glad [the album] was what it was...
Sal (interrupting): It is what it is...
Me and Greg: AHAHAHAHA


The two sisters, using basically the same meaningless catch phrase that topped the San Francisco Chronicle's list of dumbest phrases of 2007.

I am heading back home in 2 1/2 weeks for the family reunion. I am looking forward to it! Maybe I will get on a horse I hope.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok so what did you tell them that let you keep the $50???

12:50 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

I said it was a massage table. Greg and Amanda Lovato got sent off to an oversize baggage line, they both have those Trico hard cases that are unmistakeably bikes, but mine is way less obvious. Also I made sure not to wear bike-y clothes and I made Greg stay far away and pretend he didn't know me!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

NICE!!!!!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

hmmm, i still don't see how charging you based on whats inside your luggage is legal

and...she wanted to dry it off????

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um see I dont get that charge thing either!! golf clubs, snowboards, skis, baseball/softball bags, other random sports bags they don't charge for but bikes?!?! NOT COOL.

also my bike in my bag weighs less then my bag full of clothing... so really what's the deal?

Oh silly mom's and what they don't know about electronics.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to get a bike case like yours! Can you help me with my lying skills as well??

4:17 AM  
Blogger Chris Westall said...

Get the new Nano. It's really small and has some of the benefits of the larger iPod without the size.

The toaster thing made me laugh out loud... Who thought that was a good idea?

12:47 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

i thought about the nano for like 5 seconds and then thought better of it. i HATE having to swap playlists around and only have a certain amount of my music available to listen to. so i have a refurbished 80G getting delivered to my doorstep on friday. yay!

and i am slightly embarrassed to admit that we both thought it was a good idea. we didn't realize how hot the toaster oven was. i should have just tried to hair-dry it.

and katie, so far the akona biospeed has been a good investment. it's well made, has lots of protection and compartments for everything, it's not heavy, and it's not obviously a bike. it doesn't have wheels which is slightly annoying but wheels and a mount for the wheels would add a lot of weight. it's also way smaller than greg's big ugly trico case. i do wish they had a couple different size options, people like you and me could fit all our gear into a littler bag since our bikes are tiny!

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the case is the same thing as the PIKA packworks that i have, its great.

Roman

7:47 PM  
Blogger Larry L said...

Ugh..literally toasted your shuffle. Oh well, it happens. (I won't admit to all of the things that happen to end up in my washing machine....!)

I agree that the add'l charge for certain equipment is ridiculous. It's the same thing for scuba equipment, IF you get caught. I've been lucky and, like you, packed most of my gear in unidentifiable cases/bags. (I usually carry-on my regulator though and get inqusitive looks from the x-ray agent, but they aren't employees of the airlines so they can't impose the surcharge!)

Good luck with the refurbished 80 gig iPod. Just please don't confuse it for a piece of toast someday....

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home