[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: For the Second Year in a Row...

Sunday, February 18, 2007

For the Second Year in a Row...

I could be talking about Levi's repeat prologue performance.

But I'm not.

For the second year in a row I have come home from the Tour of California Prologue wishing I were a boy. Then maybe I would be able to ride a fancy TT machine with non-shrimp-sized shiny carbon deep-dish flat-bar etc. accessories, and maybe I would have crowds of kids and racer fans waiting outside my team bus hoping for an autograph and a glimpse of my 14 visibly rippling calf muscles, and maybe, just maybe, I could wear argyle legwarmers and still be taken seriously.

That stuff doesn't really happen if you're a girl, especially a short one.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve Griffiths said...

Did you see Betinni's bike? It's proly smaller than yours.

Point taken though.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Dr. Xeno said...

Good points all, I suppose. But I'm a boy and that stuff never happens to me either! Plus, I can't compete in synchronized swimming...

9:13 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

not necessarily true...I think argyle sort of demands to be taken seriously...no matter the gender of the wearer

11:32 AM  
Blogger Steven Woo said...

It's the size of the heart, not the rider! Jeannie Longo is at most five feet four so don't count yourself out. Contemporary riders Laurence Leboucher and Daphny van den Brand are shorter still.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i laughed out loud when i saw a picture of the argyle leg warmers.

p.s. you should have come to pine flat. there were HOARDS of fans lining the finishing climb. i think some of them probably had to camp overnight!

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shortness is relative. Trust me, I know. Being taken seriously isn't all it's cracked up to be. That's what I'm told. I wouldn't know.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home