[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: I Put My Foot In My Mouth (can you beLIEVE it?!)

Monday, June 04, 2007

I Put My Foot In My Mouth (can you beLIEVE it?!)

Twice in the same evening as a matter of fact. Whilst somewhat accidentally hanging out with the Toyota United boys after the race. The first time was not so bad...

The First Foot

Heath Blackgrove: Do you need the waitress to put more water in your bidon?
Me: No I am good. That's funny though, "bidon", I have two Aussie teammates so I know you are talking about my water bottle.
Heath: I am not from Australia.
Me: No no, I know I know, sorry, I know you are from New Zealand, I am just saying, they say that too! (ugh)

And I would have forgotten all about it if it weren't for the second instance. As a bit of scene-setting-slash-idiocy-explanation-attempt, this all happened the evening after the final stage of Mt. Hood, Heath had won the criterium, a few beers had been consumed but there seemed to have been a long wait for their food to come, during which time all bread and bread crumbs had been inhaled, also there was talk going around the table about their teammate who had just been hospitalized and both his condition and what actually happened seemed to still be up in the air, or at least not readily conveyable via text message. So, on to...

The Second Foot

Michael: Yeah, what kills me is the Monday mornings, having to get back to the grind and actually work, with a total race-hangover, staring at the computer screen.
Me to the T-U Boys: Do any of you guys have to have jobs?
Heath: Um, this is our job.
Me: No no, I know I know, that's not what I meant, I know it's a job, I wasn't trying to belittle what you do... I just meant, you know, do you like, have to get up and go to an office?

Thank god for Chris Baldwin, who seemed to grasp a. what I meant, b. how stupid I felt, although the whole town could probably see how red I got so this item b. was not too hard to grasp, and c. the borderline applicability of the question, given the fact that many guys on domestic pro teams do need another source of income. But this is Toyota United we are talking about here, and considering that I had earlier confirmed that these boys never even have to stay in host housing because their team budget is that cush, I should have deduced the job thing from there.

Anyway yeah, go me, way to totally fit the dumb-girl stereotype.

***************************

But I already have a plot for redeeming myself with Heath at Nature Valley. It is likely to go something like this:

Me: Hi Heath! How's it going?!
Heath: Oh it's you.
Me: So guess what I observed at Mt. Hood but neglected to mention aloud during our lovely post-race celebratory gathering?
Heath: Do tell.
Me: You and I have the same cell phone! The Sony Ericsson w810i! How sick is that?!

Heath will then roll his eyes/flee my presence/toss his phone in whatever river divides Minneapolis and St. Paul/exclaim how cool it is that I am so cool. I am not banking on that last possibility but one can always hope.


Do you think I am spending way to much time obsessing about this?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Smith said...

whatever river divides Minneapolis and St. Paul

That would be the Mississippi. Maybe you have heard of it?

5:49 AM  
Blogger Tuffy said...

Heath will then roll his eyes/flee my presence/toss his phone in whatever river divides Minneapolis and St. Paul/exclaim how cool it is that I am so cool.

I love reading your blog, Cour10ay -- your stories are hilarious.

But...the above is now "Foot-in-Mouth #3". The river that divides Minneapolis and St. Paul is the Mississippi. You know...the same one that divides the, uh, United States? Yeah...that one.

PS: I won't be in town for the NVGP. Sorry that I'm going to miss you, Taitt, and Martina. Hope you guys do well!

6:30 AM  
Blogger pedro said...

i think i have a big crush on Court... she is so clever, so literate and always willing to sarge the pro's, if only, she'd consider amatuers. sigh. ;)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Tuffy said...

Back off doosh, that's was my effing joke.

It's her damn comment moderator! I can't help that you read Cour10ay's blog at 5am...

12:33 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

Sorry sorry sorry! That comment moderation crap is crap, I took it off.

I do enjoy the teasing and banter and moderation is a hindrance.

AND TUFFY I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE THERE?!?! Who's going to publish the behind the scenes tell-all about our feed zone antics? Either way I will be sure to keep Smithers apprised of all our highly intelligent awesome antics. Oh and taitt won't be there anyway since she has a broken tibial plateau... :(

1:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wasn't me. Sweear ta gawd!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Christopher Smith said...

I should be able to make the St. Paul and Mpls crits. I'll have Baby Smithers with me.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very funny story. Especially knowing Heath and the TUP boys.

8:23 PM  
Blogger veloandvino said...

The Foot in mouth is something we all have from time to time, I'm sure its all been forgot N by now. It was a long drive home. Good luck this week!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

courtenay WTF, you have like 10 comments now. Little Miss Popular.

and guys love it when you are ditzy. the dumber the better. they were probably all secretly plotting how to get you raging drunk and drag you into their giant rolling house (aka team van).

10:47 AM  
Blogger pedro said...

dumb is only ok if you don't have to talk to them... when from afar, as they approach, they swagger, looking all hot and curvy. but then, you end up in a conversation with them, and they're like, i think, uh, i totally need to work on my tan, i was just at some beach, and this guy looked at me, and I totally knew he was NOT digging my tan lines... BANG!

see now Court is clever, only pretending to not to know where the missisippi headwaters are and getting dumb jocks to take the bait, LOVE that. ;)

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

back off pedro, she's mine! i know she wants me, all she's gotta do is meet me:-( chics dig old, fat guys who ride slow

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home