[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Rode Around the Lake

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Rode Around the Lake

Greg and I moved to Tahoe 8 months ago, and yesterday I figured it was about time I rode my bike around the lake. It's a 72-mile jaunt with ~4,500 ft of climbing and plenty of nice views - weather yesterday was clear and sunny with temperatures in the mid-60's and pretty light winds, so it was the perfect day for it!

I made sure to take a few photos, because I became unsure of when I would do this ride again... The stretch leading into and out of Emerald Bay there are really steep dropoffs on the side of the road and no guardrails. I've never been good at this type of terrain. There is even one part where the road is on top of the ridge, with steep dropoffs on both sides, and still no guardrails!! I was riding pretty gingerly on the very center of the yellow line. Pissing off all the Saturday drivers, but I was vertigo-stricken and terrified! Otherwise it's a really lovely ride, and a good length for me right now in my preparation for the two half-iron races I am doing this summer, so soon I might have to suck it up and face my vivid fears of tumbling in spandex down a mountainside into a freezing cold lake, so I can do the loop again.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Oh man, I'm terrified of steep dropoffs too! And I know what you mean about getting vertigo...actually I remember having it pretty bad when we were descending near the ocean on that group ride we did a couple years ago with McGuire in Santa Rosa in December...ugh

6:23 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I know that stretch of road. I was scared of it too, and I was DRIVING IN MY CAR! So you are one tough cookie for being able to do it on your bike. You rock!!!

Peace,
Yvette

8:01 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm still amazed you did it on a day where that stretch of road was open to cars. At least we had that part closed so I could stay next to the yellow line. :)

It really is a beautiful ride. It nearly went by too quickly that I almost felt cheated!! Still, I loved being able to just look to my right most of the time and see that deep deep blue.

IT WAS SO GREAT TO MEET YOU AND GREG!! I hope we can meet up again sometime soon. That was fun.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

Wow - after biking in California and doing some "real" climbs for the first time in my carreer (Palomar!!!) - I got to experience what a REAL drop off looks like. 2,000 - 3,000 feet straight down is NOT fun - and that wasn't even at the highest point. Yikes! Way to go on the ride - it must have been incredible! You are awesome! Hope that training and stuff is going well...big hello to Greg and to Kitty. The House Monster says hi!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home