[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Follow Up on last post

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Follow Up on last post

So, as you may have seen on Greg's blog, his foot xray came back negative for a fracture. This is good news, it means his foot is badly bruised but the sesamoid bone in there (apparently there are several sesamoids in the body?) is not broken. Current plan is for him to head to Charlottesville, VA next week, to stay at his parents' and to have access to a good orthopedic doctor in the area and to get swim stroke critiques from his dad and to generally HAVE FUN and MAKE ME JEALOUS. I love Charlottesville, it's where I went to college and lived for a couple of years after college and have a bunch of friends and rode a lot of ponies and was a radio superstar and fell in love with running and generally HAD FUN.

Lucky Greg!

I will stay here and play with Kitty and clean up the apartment and go to Wildflower all by my lonely little clueless self. And Greg is in big trubs because of the whole Wildflower Accommodations situation... Wildflower is famous for being the "woodstock" of triathlon, everyone goes to the park and camps for the race weekend and, according to video footage, they wear crazy outfits too.

I am not a camper. I do not camp. I spent a couple of months living out of a tent in Australia back in my youth and I had more than my fill. I do not camp. No freaking way. I especially do not camp and race at the same time. (Please note that an RV rental is not in my budget.) So ever since last year when Greg and I were discussing my race calendar for this year, I made sure he knew that I don't camp or sleep in cars and that the only way I'd do Wildflower is if I got to stay with him in the pro accommodations, which are cabins that are a 15 minute drive from the race.

Now of course I am all entered and ready for the race and my luxurious cabin has been whipped away from under me! Aack!

So I am going to get a hotel room in King City, 45 minutes away. Thankfully I have a friend who is racing and he is also not a camper, nor are a bunch of his racer friends, so I am not alone. Phew! Greg is still in trubs though. I will miss him, not just because of the cabin... I can't believe I am going to this big race without him. I was so looking forward to being there with him, supporting each other, and generally enjoying the sport we love together. I am crossing my fingers that he heals fast and is ready for a great race at Columbia... Although, if he is still injured, he can watch the race with my mom and help her figure out what on earth she is watching and when to cheer ;)! I guess there is always a bright side.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

you were a radio superstar? you lived in a tent in australia?

there's just so much you don't know about internet friends

wildflower camping isn't that bad, it's fairly tame, there's showers and bathroom, if you end up getting stuck having to camp

and you're going to do awesome!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

I don't camp either!! After 3 1/2 years in a yurt I'm traumatised for life!

Have a great time and we all hope Greg's foot heals fast!

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a crybaby - at least you're racing.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Loren Pokorny said...

Camping is for kids - I'd agree with you but I feel bad for Greg. Your blog is about him right? If not, forget it. I want to see some big power numbers and charts too.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where exactly is wildflower? because if it's close to san luis you could STAY HERE!!! in my luxurious mobile estate.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I camp, but racing and camping don't mix. You can camp after the race, but then when I camp I end up with the most mysterious bruises and really really bad bug bites...

7:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Court...bummed to hear about your situation.

This is EXACTLY why I don't do WF anymore. Because the rest of us not-pros have to either a) camp or b) stay in KC.

Now...while you and I have many similarities it seems, one thing we differ on is camping. I LOVE to camp.

However...I do NOT love to camp the night before a race. Who on EARTH thought that was a good idea? Especially before a HARD race. This isn't Ice Breaker, this is FREAKING WILDFLOWER.

Sigh. I just hate it so much and think it's the worst idea on the planet.

You've already got your car loaded down with crap for the race. Now you have to think about all the sh** you need to camp, too? No, thankyouverymuch. Let's not even get into the quality of sleep you're going to get.

Oh and what if we have craptastic weather like we're having right now? Then what?

Then you've spent $200+ (more like $300 by the time you've paid for camping and park fees) to sleep in the rain, not sleep well and race on a not good night's sleep.

Oh JOY! WHAT FUN! :-|

So your next option is b) KC.

King City is nothing except a place to stay in the middle of California that is the closest place of civilization to WF. You still have to wake up @$$-early to drive 45 minutes down to the lake.

Yeah, I think WF is the greatest race ever.

Right.

Now, if I had a cabin (as you previously did) - game on! No prob!

But for the rest of us...I'll pass.

So, ignore Loren, I feel your pain and I feel really bad for you. :(

At least you don't have to camp, though.

I just hope this nasty rain we're having now is the last of it!!

Keeping my fingers crossed!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

Wow - so what other uber cool things have you done? Austrailia? Camping?? Wow - most excellent!

When I used to row, I camped with a few guys from my club up at the Canadian Henley. The week that we were there, it thundered EVERY night - horrible storms. Didn't realize that Canada or St. Catherine's had it so bad. Just freak storms. That was the end of my camping experience. I would much rather do the drive than be cold/wet/struck by lightning. Yikes!

Well- I bet that Greg wishes he could be with you... you'll do GREAT! I just know it. And its actually kind of good for you to be out of the pre-race atmosphere so far away. Use it as a positive.

Yes - there always is a bright side... hang in there! You and kitty will be just fine! :) Sending good thoughts your way!

Tabbitha and Nathaniel say hello!

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home