[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: What Not To Do

Sunday, April 20, 2008

What Not To Do

Man I can't believe the weekend is nearly over. I need another one please, I am wrecked. And I didn't really do a ridiculous amount of training - I probably just made some stupid decisions (or stupid forgets, that's a little more accurate).

The weekdays this week were strategically splattered with some quality intensity work, along with attempted recovery. Intensity is pretty hard up here, and I've found that recovery is hard too. Back in Oakland, if I'd feel sluggish and crappy, I'd head out for an hour loop up Tunnel Road and down through Montclair or Claremont, and arrive back home feeling worlds better and ready for another loop or three. That just doesn't happen here, that refreshed feeling after a nice spin (neither the feeling NOR the spin - it's mostly just staring at the ride time begging for it to be over already). And there are certainly no "recovery runs". Recovery has to come in other forms I guess, namely sleep! And I made sure to get plenty of sleep this week.

So after a good but well-planned week, I planned to have a good and well-planned weekend too. Didn't get off to the best start. Yesterday Greg and I drove down to the pool in Carson for a long course workout, the pool opened at 10:30 according to the website. We made the mistake of not calling ahead (rationalization being that if we called at 10 to verify it was set up LCM they'd be closed anyway so why bother), and of course got there to find the pool teeming with teenagers and their parents and coaches and hormones. Woohoo swim meet taking over the whole pool... Greg threw his towel, it didn't make any noise or do any damage but that was all that was on hand to display Major Frustration. But after a long drive back up the mountain, we managed to get in a decent workout at our pool in Incline, so that was nice, though the workout we'd planned would have been so much better.

We got home around 1 p.m. and I was seeing stars. Actually more like this big fuzzy rectangle off to the left, in both eyes, regardless of whether my eyelids were closed or open. Thinking I was low in blood sugar, I ate a cookie or two, but that didn't help. Greg's dad informed me via telephone that it's a sign of dehydration, not eye cancer or cookie deprivation, and I realized that I'd had half a water bottle all day... including the hard 1.25 hr swim in a warm pool... crap. I had forgotten to drink! What a rookie maneuver! Ugh!

I downed a big bottle of electrolyte mix but I am guessing that was maybe too little too late, because my long run in the afternoon was the worst ever (partly because of my route choice and the 30 mph winds but I did really feel horrid), and my long ride today with friends down in Reno was the second worst of the past month or so. I knew at the start that it would be a long four hours, my legs and heart felt so tired, and the wind steadily built from 15 mph to a good 25 mph, so I struggled but toughed it out. And I reminded myself that if 2 weeks ago I could do four hours by myself on the Pacific Coast Highway on a brand new TT bike with only one bottle cage and starting the ride with the worst saddle sore I have had in months and riding into a 15 mph headwind for the whole first half of the ride, if I could do that, I could certainly deal with cold windy Reno. At least I had company and an irritant-free crotch area. Although it was a bit embarrassing, not ONLY did my companions have to wait for Courtenay the Snail at the tops of the climbs, they also had to wait at the bottoms of the descents!! Apparently I was the only one with contacts, they could all see fine down the long super windy descents, whereas I was left dizzy and trying for the life and safety of me to just stare at the white line and get down and out of the wind. Sheesh.

So, lesson being: hydrate! It will make your weekends funner! (I know I am just begging for a basewater comment once again...) Now I am warming up and hydrating with some herbal tea, hoping hoping hoping that I feel better by tomorrow. The Carson City pool is supposed to be set up long-course until 9 a.m., and I am determined to make my third effort at getting there the charm. Greg can't go though, he has to get his foot x-rayed. (Add'l source of stress this weekend. To Be Continued.)

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Loren Pokorny said...

Because Base Water helps you absorb MORE water, days where you are slow to hop on the bottle are mitigated.

You should also never go to bed without a full water bottle on the nightstand. Sip all night and train hard all day.

Golly, I'm hydrated as heck right now. http://www.baseperformance.com/

8:30 PM  
Blogger Loren Pokorny said...

Hope Greg is ok. No Cure for him. It will make him too depressed.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

Okay - good vibes your way right now! Sorry to hear the trainig was not what you wanted. BUT - you did LEARN, and I'm betting that you won't let this happen again.

It's okay - we all make mistakes, we all get tired, we all have great times and not-so-great times.

I read once that, "It's easy to train when life is good, training is going great, and you're feeling fantastic. True champions do it even when they're not."

Keep this in mind - if it was easy, EVERYONE would do it.

I probably can't say much to make you feel better..... hhhhmmmmm.

If tabbitha were there, I know she wouldn't attack - hope that helps. She may demand a fishy in return for her politeness, but that's all. 18.2 pounds of purrrrring kitty to keep you company. Good stuff.

Hope that Greg's foot is okay. Fingers Crossed!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

It will get better. Way to push through it despite feeling bad. Lessons learned for all of us always. You are getting stronger, hang in there and know things will be great soon enough....

XO,
E

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would think staying hydrated would be a no brainer but it's not at all! This is my third year racing and let me tell you...it's always a struggle to stay on top of!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

Seems like forgetting to hydrate is like me forgetting diapers for the baby and a change of clothes for the 3 year old. . .it happens, but not too often anymore.

I'm with Marit--you show your dedication and drive on the hard days/weekends. The difficulties make the joys more joyful--remember Plato-- "The beautiful is difficult."

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how one little oversight effects so much! The whole pool thing and "meets" and kids practices makes me nuts up here too! I have to force myself to drink sometimes - I am NOT a big drinker - but I try! :) Way to stick thru your tough weekend! Jen H.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Awwww! I find on weekends it's especially hard to remember to hydrate. At work I just keep a Nalgene at my desk and refill allllll day long. But on weekends when I'm never in the same spot...I really have to remind myself. Especially after those long rides in the a.m. on Saturday...I'll totally forget and then be trashed on Sunday. :-/

So, sorry to hear you had a tough ride and training weekend. Still - you learned some lessons and that's always a good thing. :)

Bummed to hear about Greg's ankle! :-( Keeping my fingers crossed it isn't too bad...

11:20 AM  
Blogger achilles3 said...

Wow...can't sympathize enough right now. Granted I'm no tri-athlete but...
I went drinking Tuesday night and had too much. Woke up on wednesday and didn't feel bad so I went to the gym later that afternoon and decided on top of my 35 minute run and regular arm workout I would start a serious "no more love handles" campaign.

I over did it SO BAD that I have been sick for two days...no water, hadn't worked out that muscle group AT ALL EVER! My kidneys feel like they want to jump out set themselves on fire and pounce into my eyes.

The 30 year-old moron! :-)
Thanks for letting me get that out in your comment section Ct!

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home