[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Some Observations

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Some Observations

I have become one of those people with an obnoxious Starbucks order. Grande Soy Chai Latte with Three Pumps Chai and One Shot Espresso.

Yikes.

One problem with this perfect little concoction is that it's too freaking expensive for me to ever leave a tip for the poor folks who have to make it. I should switch back to a plain old soy latte and get back under the $4 mark, but it's not as good. Really I should stop drinking soy and stop indirectly supporting the destruction of the rainforests to make room for soybean fields and switch back to cow's milk, but there's another host of problems there. Maybe rice milk?


Separate observation: this past Saturday night, the night before my big almost-win, I spent like an hour trying to get these fancy elastic laces set up on my new racing shoes. It's an unnecessarily complex process, made more challenging by the fact that the promised "instructions inside the box" were not there. Yes this brand sports the magical Macca endorsement, but in my opinion the system is whack. I am going to take all the plasticky bits off and just tie the laces with a nice normal secure bow.


Another one: I am sitting here debating whether to register for a few races. I hate planning way far in advance, I like allowing for contingencies and these hefty non-refundable race entry fees definitely make me balk, but it would be even worse to miss out on racing entirely. I guess I'll just suck it up - BAM and Pacific Crest are the current races in question.


Lastly: I got a funny email from my Mom. She wanted to know how to type a parenthesis into a text message.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Smith said...

One problem with this perfect little concoction is that it's too freaking expensive for me to ever leave a tip for the poor folks who have to make it.

Uhhhh....am I supposed to be leaving a tip for these people?

3:36 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

so those elasticy laces. i finally got mine in, then i was liek where do i put my key when i run? (this was when i wore the same shoes training and racing) and i was like 'i know! i'll just cut off the end of the plastic lace and then i can get my key on it', so i did that and then i realized it wouldnt fit back into the little plasticky part. sigh. and i felt like a dumbass

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The elastic laces. The plasticky parts are unecessary complexity that will only break at the wrong time. I just take the elastics and lace up the shoes like normal then knot them down real good once I've got just the right amount of tightness figured out.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

See, Courtenay, you are precisely the population I was speaking of this morning when we opened up the paper and saw Starbucks' new ad that's promoting their better tasting coffee (it's their 'Back to Basics' campaign), and I said "yeah but come on! They've already lost that market! They need to be focusing on the frapuccino-chai-latte-capuccino folks!"

I'm the coffee drinker sort that got sick and tired of their nasty coffee.

My little sister works at Starbucks. She loves that tip money. I tell her I never leave tips for them because part of the cost of my overpriced coffee includes the service of them grabbing a cup and filling it. And smiling at me. Then she gets mad at me and says I'm lame. ;)

I say eff elastic laces. I just keep my shoes half-tied and then tie the bows as soon as I slip my feet in.

I was going to register for the Auburn Tri but DANG! $165!!!! Since when did Olympics go up so much? Ugh...

Where are BAM and Pacific Crest?

4:31 PM  
Blogger Loren Pokorny said...

I tried YankZ! and they put my foot to sleep. I use lace locks that you can get at REI for $2. They worked for me about 12 years ago and still work fine.

I gave up on the fancy drinks despite the fact that I'm a SBUX shareholder. I like less complication - so I'm a half-caf drip fellow now.

Skip BAM and PC, do San Jose - you can even stay here the night before. THen do Vineman if you can get on the waitlist.

I never tip anyone who is just doing their job. Taking my order shouldn't require any extra service and unless they wipe my chin or tell me my fly is down, no extra nothing. I hate the fact that the tip jar is commonplace EVERYWHERE someone takes your money. I give my change to my kids. They're gonna need it. I don't know why you aren't doing the sprint in Sac on Sunday the 27th!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Tuffy said...

Almond milk is where its at, Court. Almond milk.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

ok. you guys or right. no more precious laundry-quarters into the lazy-barrista-tip-cup...

AND thank you alicia for the approval vote on the elastic laces in a normal bow scheme. greg does that but he does a lot of weird/lazy things so i wasn't sure i should take his suggestion.

apparently, one can make one's own almond milk... hmm. although considering all i could manage to make myself for dinner was a microwaved potato, maybe i'll do store-bought.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

Yeah--rice is out cause it uses lots of our precious fresh water to grow the rice. . .and anyway it's really hard to milk those tiny grains! We could go crazy trying to live without environmental imact! Choose your battles and let someone else worry about the others. ME? I'm cloth diapering and cooking from scratch.

7:51 AM  
Blogger evolving yeti said...

Court-
I thought the instructions were missing too. You have to open the top half of the box (the part where they hang on the peg in the store display). Whether or not the instructions make it easier or not is another thing. I haven’t tried to install them yet. I just got my new race shoes and my first race isn’t for three weeks. At least know I know I have to set some time aside to get them ready!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Auffderbach said...

My 18 year old Cat 2 racer works at SBucs and absolutely needs those
tips in order to be able to afford the gas to drive over the Sierras to race, so c'mon ya'll, pony up and tip BIG so I don't have to sponsor him 100% anymore!

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Alicia! I've been doing the plain-old making a bow tie of my elastic laces at just the right tightness for several years now, and it works great. She didn't believe me.

One of these days Court will realize my wisdom...

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home