[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: A Few Lessons

Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Few Lessons

Family time is always learning-experience time. In visits past, I have learned lots about my mom's fridge, my sister's maelstrom bedroom and its bizarre item-devouring abilities (speaking of which I lost Greg's presents in there for 3 days and my mom finally found them this morning), tractors, etc. The one overriding theme of all these visits is that Mom is the butt of all jokes. - Mom Remaly, Mom Court, Mom Rohrbach (that's my mom), mom mom mom is the one to get teased.

Well.

This time, I learned that big sister is also allowed to be the butt of almost all jokes, even when my mom is in the room.

When did this come about?! What happened?! I am not even THIRTY yet!!! When did I get booted to the mom group?!?!

Incident I

Right now, my brother and sister and cousin and mom and mom's friend are all still laughing at my "watch this"'s. I have developed this habit of saying "watch this" to Greg and subsequently, I don't know, taking out the trash or something. Or turning off the TV. Or doing something inherently unworthy of watching. So Christmas morning, one of my presents was a really cool Craft undershirt, and I was so excited that a "watch THIS!" slipped out and I started to put the shirt on over top of my t-shirt. I had a little trouble because I had forgotten to unzip the zipper, so I finally poke my head out and see 6 pairs of eyes all staring at me silently. "Why's everyone looking at me?!" I said. Apparently they were following instructions, don't ask me where the obedience suddenly came from.

Incident II

And then yesterday, we were at a party and I finally met my good friend Oona's boyfriend, Ali. First of all, it took me an hour to realize he was the famous Ali because when we were introduced I was like "Nice to meet you Ollie!" Thank god I stopped myself from being like "so Oona, are you and Ali still together? Gimme the scoop!" because some light in my brain finally went off. I swear, TV is making me so stupid.

Anyhow Ali works for Pixar Studios. So later in the evening my brother and I were talking to him about his job.

Me: Pixar! That's so cool! Yay "Shrek the Third"!
Ali: That's Dreamworks actually.
Me: Oh. Right. What about "Bee Movie"?
Ali: Nope. That's Dreamworks too.

I then went to get dessert and let my brother take over my botched conversation attempt. Ali's very cool though and I don't think he hates me.

Incident III

Now, we all know that I am a driver of questionable skills. See one, two, etc. Hmf.

Well anyhow, despite this, I got have gotten stuck with the driving most of the time here. My brother "can't drive" my mom's low-rent vehicles. Greg "doesn't know the way" or something, plus the couple times I did let him drive he went a catrillion miles an hour and I shrieked. And my sister... well, let's just say she has her weak points too. We are related after all.

So yesterday after 2 hours of me driving us through rainy traffic, and we got there safe and sound, I get accused of driving like a scared rabbit!! The nerve! Something to do with my lane-changing skills... Also I have a ridiculously difficult time backing up so I guess scared rabbits do that when they are driving too.

And to top it all off, after getting teased for this for like 10 minutes, they made ME the designated driver!



p.s. I am having tons of fun. You know me, I love attention ;)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger TreBone said...

Your "watch this" moment was hilarious!! I can imagine the feeling of "why are you all looking at me?" when your eyes popped out of the shirt. Too funny.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What else is family for; other than to make us realize how socially awkward we truly are outside of family settings?

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home